Friday, December 18, 2009

i ♥ faces: {Constructive Feedback}

Normally on i ♥ faces they have a fix it friday, well they've decided to take a break and have a constructive feedback friday.

I am submitting a picture I took of my daughter a few days ago. I really like the picture but there are some things that are just bothering me about the picture.

Here it is SOOC:


f-stop: 5.6
exposure: 1/60
ISO: 800
focal length: 55mm

I did some editing to the picture in Photoshop CS3, but I'm not 100% pleased with either.
Here they are:

I want the colors to "pop" but not the pink in her hair and also she looks a little pale in the picture. Her cheeks also look a bit rosey. I'm thinking that the pink in her hair & the rosiness in her cheeks are from her dress?.


In this picture I thought the whites were too bright. Maybe this is a good picture and I just don't have a good eye?


I appreciate you all taking the time to give me some feedback, good or bad, on my picture.

Click the button below to see more constructive feedback pictures.


2 comments:

Ms. Diva December 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

I think maybe you are shooting at too high an ISO. Your eye always goes right to the brightest part of the picture. (The highlights on her hair and in the b/w picture the chair next to her). Blown out pictures are the bain of my exsistence!! Working with levels in CS3 could help. Watch the stuff behind heads - the green arm behind her head. She is really cute! I love the look on her face with the smile. That's what should have been highlighted!

Skeller December 18, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

In any given picture, you need to decide what you are exposing for. Yes, your whites here are super bright. BUT, if they weren't, then your daughter's face would be too dark. Any time you have bright light BEHIND your subject, you have to "blow out" that background light to properly expose for a face.

I think you did a good job exposing. The high iso was needed to keep your shutter speed fast enough (altho, I don't know your lens capability, but if there was a smaller f/stop you could have used, then you could have opened your aperture a bit to use a lower iso with less grain).

I didn't do much to fix this one. I used curves to brighten her face a little and I warmed the white balance a tad, upped the contrast and saturation a bit, and used a selective color layer to remove some of the pink from her hair/face (yes, mostly likely a color cast from her cute colorful shirt). You can find my edit here:
http://shortonwords.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-constructive-criticism-friday.html

Thanks for sharing your darling photo with us!